Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

There's something about Sundays...

That seem to bring out the worst in British drivers. Take for instance, the idiot that insists on breaking at the slightest kink in the road - and it's not even what I would call a slight bend! Then when you get a spot where you can safely overtake, the idiot puts the power on, and accelerates!

As you can tell, I had one of those in front of me this morning, as I had to nip out to get some bits (milk, cat food, a paper, etc) and I wasn't speeding for once - I was traveling at about 55mph... (The speed limit on the road I was traveling along is 60mph). But, unfortunately for me, I got the classical Thou shalt not pass - 40 mph is my limit.

So, I waited patiently, until I got to the point on the road where I knew I could overtake. I put the indicator on, and accelerated past, only for the prat to accelerate! That annoyed me, and I made sure that he got a dose of symphony in airhorn minor, as well as a soaking - amazing how well my car can produce rooster tails in the wet! (For your information, rooster tails are the twin trails of water that the rear tyres produce whilst traveling.)

The supermarket was mayhem - screaming / squealing little brats, demanding sweets, and generally being very annoying (including the kid that refused to move so I could get at the cat food, and screamed blue murder because I gave it a slight nudge with my shopping basket!)

So, as soon as I was able to escape that nut house, I headed for home. The return journey was ok, until I came up behind some silly cow in a Nissan Micra, who pulled out on me, causing me to stand on the brakes (she'd badly underestimated my speed!) and then tried to brake test me, when I was getting into position for an overtake.

That wasn't the end of the games with her though - I got level, and the stupid bitch accelerated. That really annoyed me, as that put me into a more dangerous position than was really necessary. Thankfully, I was able to use the power of my car to out accelerate her, and then, when I got to the 30mph speed limit, the silly bitch was crawling all over the back end of my car!

If I'd stood on the brakes, she'd have been straight into the back end of me, and would have screamed blue murder that it was my fault. Err excuse me - the highway code states that you must allow adequate stopping distance.

If I remember rightly, the distance (in dry weather, with good road conditions and good tyres (which are correctly inflated)) is 23m (75ft). (For more info, see http:///www.highwaycode.gov.uk/) In wet weather, again with decent tyres, you should allow at least double the normal stopping distance.

I know that this makes me sound like I'm trying to teach the world to drive safely - I'm not. All I'm asking for is a little common sense, and I'm the first to admit that I drive too fast. But, I do have one thing slightly in my favor - I've done some advanced driver training, so in theory, I'm just a better qualified idiot.

Time to call it quits - I've got to give the cats their annual flea bath... Fred's no problem, but I've still got to try and catch Ponto!


Back later - if Ponto hasn't ripped me to shreds!

Karen.
Do spiders scream when they see a big fat hairy human in the bath?

2 comments:

hmmm honest depiction of twisted british driving....:-

 

hi honest depiction of the twisted english driver...he he