Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Getting something for Dad..

No - I'm not going 'round the twist. It's just something that both Mum & I agreed to do, when we were coming to terms with our loss.

So, we decided to go to Stratford upon Avon - yes - the home of William Shakespeare. The reason? Simple. There is a very good china & glass shop there called BW Thornton (it's at the top end of Stratford by the Shakespeare birthplace trust).

It doesn't look very much, but when you get inside, it holds some of the most beautiful pieces of glass and pottery that you could wish to see. Everything from Isle of Wight Glass to pieces by Sidi Langley and pottery by the Dennis Chinaworks (designs by Sally Tuffin - she of the wonderful wildlife designs!) to the traditional Moorecroft pottery and enamels.

Mum and I were having a look, and the pair of us fell for a small vase by Sidi Langley. It colour matches several pieces that we have in the collection, and every time I go into that shop, all I can recall is Dad trying to talk me out of a perfume bottle that I'd seen for Mum's birthday.

Again, it was a Sidi Langley piece, and he was worried that Mum wouldn't like it. I knew better, and when Mum opened the box on her birthday, the look of delight was something to make me smile, even now.

It wasn't wildly expensive - I think it was about £56 (no idea what that is in other currencies, so please don't ask me!) and the pair of us have agreed that we'll get one piece of glass a year for the collection - be it a paperweight, perfume bottle or other, but the only restriction is that we both like it, and that the piece costs less than £60. Unless it is an exceptional piece that we both like, then the price limit is up for discussion!

I've also agreed to do my best to overcome my severe sea sickness, as Mum wants to go to the Isle of Wight next year. Unfortunately for me, the only way to get there is by ferry. So, I've said that I'll go into the pharmacy, and see what I can take to prevent myself throwing up everywhere - but the only request that I make, is that it doesn't make me sleepy, as there's a good chance that it will be me doing the driving, as I cannot read a map for love nor money!

So, I've sent a request to the Isle of White tourist board (http://www.islandbreaks.co.uk/) to get the relevant information, and see what there is to do on the island. I knew about the glass making - that's the main reason why Mum wants to go (that and the fact that she and Dad were planning to go next year!) and I also want to go.

Why? Simple. There's a peculiar thing called a garlic farm there (see http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/ for details!) - and I am a garlic addict - much to the dismay of my work colleagues I may add!

Time to call it quits - I'm getting glared at by the appetite on legs again - he's being ignored whilst I'm on the computer, and he doesn't like it. And more to the point, I don't think my Jaffa cakes are safe with him around!

Back later - if I can get the peace and quiet!

Karen.


Do spiders scream when they see a big fat hairy human in the bath?

0 comments: