Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Getting into mischief... Or not as the case may be!

As you can tell, I'm getting bored. I've decided to take some cuttings of one of my plants - a Tradescantia. It serves two purposes - it makes the plant bushier, and allows me to propagate some more of the plant, so I can plant them into the same pot, should the cuttings take of course! I've also got another plant to bring into the office - a Sinderpuss aureus (Devils ivy). So, when this arrives on my desk tomorrow, the plant rota will read (for the winter season anyway!):

1 x Spathillium "Mona Loa"

1 x Chlorophytum verigata (a spider plant by any other name!)

1 x Tradescantia zebrina (Wandering Jew is this plant's other name - no idea why!)

4 x cuttings (not sure if these will survive yet - will keep you posted!)

1 x Sinderpuss aureus

The summer season will have the addition of the two Gloxinias - a Kaiser Fredrich (this is now called Emperor Fredrich for some reason!) and Hollywood.

They're all plants that thrive with me in the office, and in the summer, when I've got the other two plants (the Gloxinias), my desk tends to look like a jungle (or a greenhouse - depending on who you speak to!). Despite the comments, I find it rather relaxing, and have decided that what I am going to get next growing season, is some insect repellent sticks.

These ingenious little devices sit in the compost, and as soon as the invading greenfly lands, and decides to have a snack, it gets a nasty surprise - the plant has something noxious in its sap stream, and this does one of two things - either kills the offending aphid, or gives it such bad indigestion, that it goes elsewhere for lunch!

Hmm - looks like I'm about to get given some more work.... And I'm beginning to give serious consideration to swapping my in tray!

Back later.

Karen.

Do spiders scream when they see a big fat hairy human in the bath?

0 comments: