Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

The day after the night before...

No - I'm not hungover. Just tired. I know what the cynical reader will think "Yeah - pull the other one - you had too much to drink last night." Nothing could be further from the truth - the drink/drive laws here in the UK are too rigidly enforced for me to even consider risking my driving license. Being caught over the limit is a mandatory one year ban, and the social repercussions are horrific - not to mention the financial consequences [goodbye job!].

It's just the mere fact that I didn't get to bed until 03:00 this morning. I wasn't late leaving the reception - I left at 22:30, and got home just after 00:00, but I was too wide awake to sleep, so sat up watching a film on my DVD player - it was Evolution (coming to wipe that silly smile off your planet).

The drive to Nottingham was ok - until I got to the M1. Then I remembered why I hated using that particular road. It seemed that every driver on that road had thrown all lane discipline to the four winds, and insisted on hogging the centre lane [a driver I refer to as a CLOC - Centre Lane Owner's Club] or blasting up on the outside lane, like he/she was racing Michael Schumacher in his Ferrari!

But, the one thing that really irritated me, was the idiotic driver who was in the middle lane, keeping pace with me, and seated exactly where I couldn't see he/she/it in my wing mirror. So, that meant that when I came to over take slower moving vehicles in my lane, I had to accelerate harder than I would have liked, just to get the space to get into the middle lane!

Despite that, I did wonder if I'd inadvertently left the hand brake on. The reason? Simple. I was travelling at about 75mph [the speed limit is 70mph], but I had cars going past me like I was standing still - including cars that I know very well would have been close to their max RPM / speed. Just for the record, at 75mph, my car does approx. 2750RPM (the joys of a digtal dash!)

Once I'd gotten to Nottingham, I then had the joy of trying to locate the registry office. Because I wasn't sure of the address, I called my friend, and asked if he could confirm the address for me. More by luck than judgement, I'd managed to find the place, and as a bonus, there was free parking nearby!

The ceremony was simple, but that didn't detract from the obvious happiness of the couple. After the ceremony, there were the obligatory photographs. I managed to hide for most of them apart from the one of the groom with his friends - I was told that there was no way I was hiding from that photo!

Then, the real fun started. The wedding party headed to the reception, at a local social club. The reception was due to start at 17:00, and we duly arrived just after that time... To find that there was no sign of life! That upset the bride, and the groom was all in favor of finding the responsible person, so he could sort them out, and make them realise just how much they'd upset his princess.

But, the hour was saved by the local pub - the Nag's Head [no - that's not me taking a crafty swipe at the bride or the mother in-law!] who very considerately put the pub at the party's disposal until such time as the social club opened at 19:00.

Once the social club was opened, the party got off to a real swing.. The happy couple had the first dance - to Jennifer Rush's song- The Power of Love. Several of the guests - myself included, were joking about the DJ playing the Frankie Goes To Hollywood version of the song.. The reason? Simple. It has the immortal line Keep the vampires from your door. And, there were six of us [the groom included] who all play vampire / half vampire creatures in various RPG campaigns.

But, despite the late start, it was quite a party.. The bride kept trying to get me to dance - something I cannot do to save my miserable skin! And more to the point, there are some songs that I refuse point blank to dance to - including anything by Wham! or Steps. But, get something like Donna Summer's Hot Stuff on the sound system, and that's it. I'm off to the dance floor - and I don't care if I dance like a eighty year old - I was having fun!

Aside from my pleasure at seeing my friend so happy, I was able to hook up with some old friends, and make some new friends as well, and have been made to promise that I won't leave it so long before I head back up to Nottingham, as well as keeping in touch. That's something I have every intention of doing, but the visit will have to wait until I get back from my holiday, and get things sorted here at home..

Time to log off and bog off - I've got to get the washing done, otherwise I won't have any decent clothes for work tomorrow..

Karen.

Do spiders scream when they see a big fat hairy human in the bath?

0 comments: