Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Trying to prevent an accident...

I could have cheerfully strangled my other half this morning. He told me that he could ride, and I didn't have any reason to disbelieve him. Especially when he showed that he could get Flame walking in a circle, could get her to change direction, and stop.

I guess I should have smelt a rat when he asked how to get her moving after he'd brought her to a stop... I told him to squeeze her sides with his legs, or just gently touch her sides with his heels. He took the second option, and his touch was far from gentle.

The next thing I know, Flame has taken off like she's in the Derby, and he's hanging on for dear life! Thankfully, I'd been saddling up Tequila, and was able to go after Flame before anything happened - like she injured herself, or my other half fell / got thrown off.

When I managed to get Flame to stop, I was shaking - but not as much as my other half. I've never seem him look so scared, and it turned out the only thing he'd ridden was a donkey, when he was a kid!

Needless to say, I was less than impressed, and thankfully, I was able to lead Flame back to the stable, where my other half sheepishly dismounted, and helped me to remove the tack from both horses, and then get them cooled off, groomed and turned out.

I guess that I shouldn't be such a grouch - at least he's trying to join me in my hobbies - and because of that, if he wants, I've said that I'll ask a friend of mine to teach him to ride - but not on Flame - she's too much of a handful for a novice rider!

Time to call this quits - it looks like I've got some work comming my way...

Back later, if I get the chance.

Karen.
Don't let the b'stards get you down

0 comments: