Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Hello - the PM's in the area - there must be an election coming up....

I guess the title of this entry sums up how I feel. It's funny (in an ironic kind of way) that the minute the PM realizes that Rover has gone into administration, both he and the Chancellor make an appearance in Birmingham, promising to do everything they can to help Rover.

Call me cynical if you like, but it stinks when you think about it. If the PM had been so concerned about Rover (and all the other companies that have been / are currently struggling), then why didn't he do something to help out? But no, there wasn't an election imminent, so it appeared to be a case of 'Sod it. I don't need to worry - I've got months before I need to look like I'm doing anything.'

Now the election has been called for 05 May 2005, the PM has suddenly realized that there are an awful lot of people who are rather upset with his government, and now have the power to kick them out.

And before I get comments about this being an anti-Labour post - I'm aiming at all the major parties - Tory, Labor and to a certain extent, Lib Dem - even though I do agree with Charles Kennedy's comment that the Government should have acted sooner.

Ok - I know that it sounds like I'm determined to kick the government, and yes - I am. Simply because since this lot came to power in 1997, things have, as far as my family is concerned, taken a turn for the worst.

Firstly, they introduced tuition fees for students - despite the fact that most, if not all of the labor top brass enjoyed a free education - i.e. one without tuition fees of £3000 (or more if the top 20 or so universities get their way!), meaning that I cannot return to some kind of further education without paying excessive financial penalties. On top of that, the Chancellor upped the income tax that middle earners like my late father got clobbered with.

Just to add insult to injury, the very people who are supposed to help out, have the temerity to tell my Mum that the widow's benefit is only payable for 52 weeks - and when she queries it, is told by some snotty, faceless person at the benefits agency, that this is explained on the form that she filled in, just after we lost Dad.

Thanks a lot. It just makes me wonder what the use was, of Dad paying all that National Insurance over the years - including the time that he was overseas, and paid class 2 contribution, in order to keep his state pension entitlement.

Guess I should call time on this entry - I'm getting serious about politics - something that I never normally do!

Back when I've cooled off.

Karen.

Don't let the b'stards get you down

0 comments: