Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

End of the road for Rover......?

Well, another British car maker has started to bite the dust. Ok - I know that it's a real tragedy for the workers at Longbridge and their families - having an insecure job is no fun (and I know - I've been there myself!)

But, the real crux of the matter is the fact that Rover make outdated cars, that the British car buying public don't really want. Ok - you get the die hards who will only drive Rover cars, and those (like myself) who like the MG series, but when it comes to the crunch, Rover lacks that little something that makes people go Yeah - I like that - I'll buy it


Add into that, the fact that the dealer network, has in the past really let Rover down with poor service standards, then you get a viscous cycle starting.

Because, unfortunately for John Towers and his partners at Phoenix, the British motoring public have long memories and have become accustomed to the service standards of car makers like Toyota , Audi and Peugeot, to name but a few competitors.

I've already admitted that I like the MG series, but when I actually looked into the logistics of getting an MG ZR, it would have cost about £15,000. Ok - I could live with that, as I was looking at the 1.8 stepspeed (semi automatic).

The killer blow came when I realised that I would have to travel to Stratford upon Avon to use a dealer that had been recommended to me.

Thanks a lot. Not a lot of good when I needed to get the car serviced, or if I got a problem with it!

Suppose I'd better call this entry quits - I've got work I should be doing...

Back when I get chance.

Karen.

Don't let the b'stards get you down

0 comments: