Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Authority forgets a dying king…

A quote from the closing speech delivered by Kevin Costner’s character, in Oliver Stone’s epic film JFK.

And no, I’m not just spouting the studio line when I call this film epic. It is. I’ve just spent the past three hours, totally entranced by a film, and that’s something that is quite unusual.

Ok, I enjoy watching various films, including the Mothman Prophecies (more on that in a bit), but this is one of the few films that I am proud to admit is in my DVD collection. I’ve had in my collection for about 3 / 4 months, and I’ve only just got ‘round to watching it. More to the point, I’ve only just managed to get the peace and quiet to do so!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not begrudging the fact that I spend time with my family / partner, but there are times when I just need a bit of peace and quiet, so that I can veg out, and do my own thing.

I also managed to watch the Mothman Prophecies. Ok – I know that it’s supposed to be based on a true story (isn’t this type of film always based on a true story?!) But to be honest, I was less than impressed. I guess that it was because I had great difficulty in overcoming my initial dislike of Richard Gere.

Despite that, it wasn’t that bad, but it’s not the sort of film that I would select as a DVD of first choice… 5th or 6th, maybe, but I’m afraid that I don’t rate it as highly as films such as Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

But, as I type this, I’ve been digging through my CD collection, and managed to turn up one CD (I think it’s one of those compilation cds that I’ve done over the years – songs from all sorts of cds – everything from A-Ha, through to groups like Metallica) and it’s got one of the most emotive songs I’ve ever heard: it’s Scorpions – Wind of change:

I follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park
Listening to the wind of change
An August summer night
Soldiers passing by
Listening to the winds of change

The world is closing in
Did you ever think?
That we could be so close, like brothers
The future's in the air
I can feel it everywhere
Blowing with the winds of change

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the winds of change

Walking down the street
Distant memories
Are buried in the past forever

I follow the Moskva
Down to Gorky Park
Listening to the wind of change

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow share their dreams
With you and me

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the winds of change

The wind of change blows straight
Into the face of time
Like a storm wind that will ring
The freedom bell for peace of mind
Let your balalaika sing
What my guitar wants to say

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow share their dreams
With you and me

Take me to the magic of the moment
On a glory night
Where the children of tomorrow dream away
In the winds of change

I guess that this song is rather appropriate, as my own life is changing, and I’m lucky enough to have people who care for me, helping me to cope with the changes, and giving me the strength of character I need to change what doesn’t suit me.

Time to call this entry quits- got stuff to do around the house before Mum gets back from work.

Back later, if I get the chance.

Karen.
Don't let the b'stards get you down

0 comments: