Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

What a rush!

Well, this weekend has been a real blast from start to finish. Yesterday, I spent the day in the Malvern Hills, with my friends Carole & Rachel, and my god-sprog, Amber.

We’d decided to go trekking in the hills, and had taken the three horses and Kipper – Amber’s pony. Carole’s husband, her youngest daughter Elian and my other half elected to stay with the transporter, as the three of them couldn’t ride, and the two fellas wanted to listen to the rugby.

The ride itself was just what I needed – even if I couldn’t do what I really wanted – and that was give Flame her head, and gallop off into the wilderness.

But, I understood the reasons behind it – we have an unwritten agreement that none of us goes out of sight / earshot of the others, in case there’s a problem that requires the others to assist or in the worst case scenario, go for help.

The funniest part of the day was when Amber decided that she’d had enough of riding Kipper, and demanded to be allowed to ride Flame. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn’t have had any problems with that at all.

This time, it was a little different, as I was worried in case something spooked Flame, and she bolted with Amber on her. But, being a typical three-year-old, she gave me no peace until she got her own way, and I lifted her up onto Flame’s back.

Once she was on Flame, I went to take the reins over Flame’s head, so that I could lead her, only for Amber to insist that she was going to hold on to them instead!

Thankfully, I’d had the foresight to take a lead rein with me, which was clipped to my belt. I un-clipped the rein, and attached it to Flame’s bridle, and led Flame along the path, with Kipper trotting alongside me, as I was holding her reins!

All I can say is thank goodness that Kipper didn’t decide to play up; otherwise I’d have been in real trouble! But I guess the mere fact that I kept her well bribed helped...

Now onto today. Today was a matter altogether, as I was meeting a friend of mine in Stratford-upon-Avon, and I don’t mind admitting I was quite apprehensive.

Simply because this was the first time that I’d actually met this fella in person. Ok – I guess I’d better explain what I mean. This person (who shall remain nameless until he says I can name him in my blog) and I have spoken and e-mailed all sorts of silly jokes, shared personal information about ourselves, but never managed to meet face to face.

At first, he seemed to be a little guarded, but thankfully soon began to relax, and make me laugh with his silly jokes / antics. I soon came to the conclusion that he’s as daft as a brush, and has a real heart of gold.

As he wasn’t familiar with Stratford, I decided to do the tourist-guide bit and show him the sights (and avoid the tourist traps!) But there was one place that I knew he’d enjoy visiting – The Garrick Inn. It’s one of the oldest pubs in Stratford, and does some really good real ales – something that we both have a weakness for!

We also went Hog spotting. Ok - I’d better elaborate on that. My friend is a Harley Davidson fanatic. (He has one himself, so that’s the reason he was doing his best to educate me about Hogs…)

We also watched an entertainer by the riverside, and we were only able to catch the end of his act… He’d got three batons – two were unlit, and the third was lit.

He was planning the put the batons down his trousers, and was making jokes that it was usually at that point where he hoped that some beautiful single female would come rushing up to him, begging him not to do it… Not my friend.

He stood behind me, and yelled “Go on Steve – do it!” I don’t mind admitting that I was laughing, as I was thinking the same thing, but just lacked the courage to yell anything.

So, this fella, Steve, went through with the show. Down went the batons – both the unlit batons and the lit one! I was quite impressed, and my friend muttered something about “bloody crazy northerners!”

As the afternoon drew to a close, we started to walk back to my car, as my friend was parked the other end of the town, and I wasn’t unkind enough to make the poor guy walk though an unfamiliar town to find his car.

As we walked, I felt his arm go around my shoulders, and will admit to being a little bit surprised! When I remarked on it, he quickly took his arm from ‘round me, and looked like a puppy dog that had been told off for playing with its favourite chew toy!

I will admit, I hated seeing the look of hurt in his eyes, and made sure that he knew I wasn’t worried about him putting his arm around me – all my instincts were telling me that I could trust him.

So, I decided to return the favour, and slipped my arm around him, and snuggled up to him, making damned sure that he knew that I was comfortable with the contact.

I dropped him off at his car, and as he wasn’t quite sure how to get to the M40 motorway from Stratford, I said that the best thing he could do, would be to follow me, as I was going to be heading towards the M40 myself.

Before he got into his car, he gave me a kiss and a cuddle! I didn’t object in the slightest, and gave him a cuddle of my own before we parted, having made him promise that he would let me know he was home safely.

To be honest, if things were different (i.e. we were both single and lived closer to each other) I would seriously consider asking him out. But, as we’re both attached, and live miles away from each other, I’ll settle for having a damned good friend that I know I can turn to when times get too rough, and I feel like I’m going to break.

Time to call this entry quits – I’ve got bits and pieces to do before I retreat into my pit.

Back tomorrow, if I get chance.

Karen.

I walk where others fear to tread

0 comments: