Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Things that go “crunch” in the night (or on the car)

Driving home from Leek Wooten at about 02:00 last night, I heard this horrible crunch, and realised that I'd hit something. When you're doing about 80mph, there isn't going to be much left of whatever got hit...

So, I managed to stop in a safe place. Ok. I'll re-phase that. A place that's as safe as anywhere for a lone female at 02:00. Only see the remains of a rabbit splattered on the front air-dam of the car.

Great. Just what I didn't need. A bill for £400 plus, for a new air-dam from Arbury Peugeot, or a claim on my car insurance. So, muttering darkly, I got back into the car, and drove the rest of the way home.

I didn't mention the fact that I'd had an impact on the car to Mum; otherwise she would have fussed about me, making sure I was ok. I was - I was more annoyed with myself for forgetting that the road I was travelling on was well known for being a rabbit playground.

So, I got into work, and started talking with colleagues about things, and then let it slip that I thought I'd damaged the air-dam on the car...

"Why don't you get your fella to have a look at it, Kaz?" asked my line-manager.

That was the worst thing that he could have said to me. Ok - I know that he didn't mean that I wasn't capable of sorting the car, but I felt that it implied that I was a typical ditzy female that didn't know one end of a fibre-glass patch from another.

I politely pointed out that it was rather difficult, as he was in one location, and I was in another. Thankfully, my line-manager didn't take offence, and offered to take a look at the damage himself.

That was too good an opportunity to resist I knew what a mess there was on the air-dam, and decided that me being the rotten little b'stard that I can be, the best thing I could do would be to keep quiet.

Needless to say, when he got down on his hands and knees at the front of the car, the picture was a real "Kodak" moment. He went very pale, and muttered something about me having a very twisted sense of humour.

He looked a little shaky when he stood up, but said that I'd avoided damaging the air-dam - it was nothing that a good wash and brush wouldn't cure.

I don't know how I managed to avoid laughing, but to be honest, I was grateful that he'd confirmed that the car was in one piece, as I was not looking forward to having to contact the insurance company, and tell them that I'd damaged the car doing 80mph on a 60mph limit road, because I was desperate to get home and get some sleep!

Time to call this quits - I don't really want to push my luck any more today!

Back when I get a chance to think straight!

Karen.

I walk where others fear to tread

0 comments: