Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

And it's not just me getting hurt...

Not the sort of 'phone call that you really want to recieve. I got a call from the farmer who keeps an eye on Flame for me, to say that she had blood pouring from a wound on her off-side rear hock...

I will admit to breaking numerous speed limits in an attempt to get to her as fast as I could, and was praying that it wasn't anything nasty, and that Tony had called the vet...

I got to the farm, just as Gianni (my trusted vet) pulled up. The pair of us walked into the yard, where Tony had managed to get Flame into one of the loose-boxes. If I didn't know better, I would swear that she knew he was trying to help her, as normally she's a real sod to get into a box.

Thankfully, no major damage, but the cut still needed a fair few stiches to close it up, and I've been told that she won't be fit enough to do any serious cross-country work for at least a month.

Ok - I can live with that for the moment, as I'm still trying to recover from my injuries. But I know that as soon as I (a) get my body armour, and (b) am fit enough to ride, then this restriction will bug the hell out of me. Tony must have realised that was the case, as he's said that I can ride his big hunter - Canute, until Flame is fit again.

That's really sweet of him, but it will be like going from a Ferrari to a Reliant Robin in terms of performance, as Flame is bred for speed and agility, whereas Canute (bless his huge heart) is more of a plodder.

But, they say that beggars can't be choosers, so I guess that if I do want to go riding before Flame is fit, then I'll be scrambling up onto Canute's broad back.

Time to call this quits - I need to get some rest, as my ribs are killing me.

Back when I get chance.

Karen

Learning to fly, but I don't have wings

0 comments: