Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

A fun but tiring weekend…

It was just the sort of weekend I needed to brighten my mood after a rotten week.

I got to our meeting point, and was able to sneak up on my friend who had his back to the door, and made him jump by giving him a cuddle. We had a coffee and talked about the route to Cosford – which meant that we would have to use the M6… Ok – not a problem there, as it was a Saturday, but I knew from past experience that traffic could be hell.

The museum at Cosford opened at 10am, and there were a couple of aircraft outside... Not an issue, but it was blowing a gale across the airfield, and I was shivering, despite the fact that I had a heavy coat on – as it was my legs that were cold!

Once inside, my friend was a real angel and guided my frozen carcass to the hot air vents, which supplied heat to the museum building – and me! Once I was warmed up (ok – not nearly as warm as I would have liked, but I don’t think my friend would have been too keen on staying by the heater as it was quite a drive to get to Cosford!), we started to go ‘round the museum.

I will admit, I was wishing that Dad was with me, as he would have really enjoyed the museum – simply because he would have been able to tell me about the passenger aircraft that my friend and I were looking at.

The exhibits were incredible, and I will admit being awestruck by the sheer size of the Lincoln bomb bay, and my friend was a real angel, and explained about the different ways that the bombs could be loaded, and also showed me the loading diagram on the side of the bomb bay.

I also saw one of my favourite aircraft – the Spitfire. Ok – I know that sounds corny, but it really is a favourite of mine, and I’ve been lucky enough to see one flying several times – and one of those times was when the Lancaster bomber was flying as well…

We then walked down to the other hangar, where there were a variety of aircraft, including the York transport aircraft – which was another derivation of the Lancaster bomber. My friend was quite upset, as the aircraft had its tail pointing towards us, and we were unable to go around the front, but he took the time to explain what the differences were and what it was used for.

The one thing that he was determined to do was go and see the Vulcan cockpit simulation... Ok – not a problem there, as I was interested as well, but I didn’t realise that I was claustrophobic.

Which is crazy, simply because I didn’t have a problem when I went ‘round St Michael’s cave in Gibraltar. I couldn’t stay in there, and I gave my friend quite a fright when he turned ‘round, and I’d gone!

What I did was scoot out as fast as I could, and headed for the Concorde engine, as it was something that I was interested in (as I’ve got several bits of one at home, thanks to Dad, who used to work for British Airways!)

I didn’t hear him walking up behind me, and he returned the fright that I’d given him earlier in the day, and was quite concerned about me. I explained that I had felt very uncomfortable, and needed to get out of there as fast as I could. He was really sweet, and said that if he’d known that I was claustrophobic, he wouldn’t have let me go in there!

We then decided that it was time for a coffee, and as the coffee shop was in the main building, it meant that I got cold again! I wasn’t terribly impressed, and headed straight for the coffee shop, whilst he went ‘round the shop.

Once that was sorted, we then headed for our over night stopping point – which was the Mellor Park Premier Inn at Wolverhampton – as my friend wanted to go to Chapel Ash Harley Davidson the following day.

Before we went to dinner, he got this bag out, and told me to hold out my hands, and close my eyes… I will admit to being somewhat suspicious, as he can be quite a wind up merchant, but I decided to trust him. I felt something soft and furry against my hands, and when I opened my eyes, he’d given me this really sweet little toy tiger!

He said that it was the only one in the basket, and had made the most of the fact that I’d gone for a coffee, as it meant that he could dig through properly, and see if he could find a little tiger for me! Needless to say, the tiger was duly named Cosford, after the place that he was bought, and I hooked him straight onto my car keys, so that he was safe.

I then gave him the little teddy that I’d got him (it came with a miniature bottle of Bells whisky) and he immediately called it Grumpy, as it had a seriously grumpy expression on it face!

We then decided to go to the adjoining pub for dinner, which was really good, and I have to admit, I was absolutely shattered – but equally over the moon, as Scotland had won the Calcutta Cup! (It’s a trophy that is contested between the English and Scottish rugby union teams)

The following day, we headed for Chapel Ash, and had a quiet wander around… I bought myself this magnificent t-shirt, in shades of blue, with the union jack on the back – much to the disgust and annoyance of my friend, as it was the one that he wanted!

The drive back was ok – apart from the fact that I really aggravated my shoulder injury, by being too damned stubborn to stop and have a break – which caused my friend quite a bit of worry, as we parted company at Warwick services, and he admitted that he was worried about me, as he wouldn’t be there to act as my back up if anything went wrong!

But, I survived, and had a really good weekend, and the memories will keep me smiling when I’m feeling down…

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming

I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Every moment spent with you
Is a moment I treasure

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
'Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

'Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream would never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing

Time to call this quits – I’m supposed to be working, not blogging!

Back when I get chance.

Karen
Learning to fly, but I don’t have wings

0 comments: