Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Shattered dreams, and a shattered heart?

On the work front, it's been a good day for me. On the personal front - it's been a disaster - and not for me, but for someone whom I care about a great deal.

I realised that something was wrong, when my friend sent me an e-mail, telling me that he wouldn't be answering his 'phone to anyone, and that he wouldn't be sending any e-mails either..

Normally, if I get an e-mail like that, my immediate thought is "what the hell have I done to upset him this time", but he seemed to realise that would be my first thought when I read the message.

He was at pains to point out that it was nothing that I'd done, but he just needed time to get his emotions together, and would be in contact with me soon.

Ok - not a lot I could say about that, but I don't mind admitting that my mind was on anything but my work, and was only too keen to make a run for it at 17:00...

As Mum was working the late shift, it meant that I had the house to myself, and was able to sort out bits and pieces, whilst having a part of my mind on whether my friend was ok...

I got my answer soon enough. My mobile chimed, and I had a text message from my friend, asking me if I could call him...

I did, and it was like someone had blown a hole in the Hoover dam. He was distraught, and in tears, and I will admit to feeling helpless, as there is only so much that you can do when you're at the end of the 'phone, and there's a fair distance between you.

And now you've given me, given me,
Nothing but shattered dreams, shattered dreams,
Feel like I could run away, run away,
From this empty heart

At the end of the day, all anyone can do is act as a shoulder for someone to cry on, and when they're in that sort of emotional state, try to keep their head above the emotional tsunami the best that you can.

Time to call this quits - I've got things to do, and the reception on my mobile stinks, so I need to be somewhere where I can get a call on my 'phone.

Back when I get chance.

Karen
Learning to fly, but I don't have wings

0 comments: