Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

A good weekend (Nothing else matters)

This weekend has been far more fun than I'd expected it to be.. Simply because I was able to spend time with people I care about, and have a damned good time in the process!

Saturday, Mum and I went shopping to Merry Hill (a rather over-rated shopping centre in my opinion!) and then the real fun started on Saturday night... My friend Julian had invited me to an Erasure night at a club he regularly goes to, and told me to expect a shock when I saw him...

Shock was an understatement. He'd dyed his dark hair a startling white blond (think Billy Idol / Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer hair colour.) The disturbing thing was, he looked bloody good. But, that wasn't the only trick up his sleeve...

It turned out that this party was a Karoke party, and if you were dressed up as either Andy Bell, or Vince Clarke then you had to sing an Erasure track. Ok - no problem there, as Julian's got quite a good voice. The problem came when he decided that he would do Erasure's Abba cover - Voulez Vous, and required a singing partner.

No prizes for guessing who he roped in for that. Yep. Muggins. I will admit, I was more than a little apprehensive, but in the end thought "what the hell" and went for it.

Ok - I probably made a real prat of myself, but I was of the opinion that if I could cope with doing a presentation at the conference, I could cope with making an idiot of myself with a good mate.

I don't know what time I got to bed, but I seem to recall that it was the early (or not so early) hours of this morning... And I'd promised Mum that I'd take her to a garden centre at Wychbold, near Droitwich!

Thankfully, I'd not drunk that much, and got home in time to pick Mum up and take her to Webbs, as I'd promised. As I drove home, I was listening to Kerrang! on the radio, and they plated one of the few Metallica songs that I really like: -

Nothing Else MattersSo close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are

And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters


Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters


Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know


So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are

And nothing else matters

Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know

I never opened myself this way

Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters


Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters


Never cared for what they say
Never cared for games they play
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
And I know


So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trust in who we are
No, nothing else matters

For some reason, this song really speaks to a part of me that few people (other than those who've know me more years than any of us like to admit to) know even exists in me. Ok - I know that I appear sarcastic, and malevolent, but appearances can be very deceiving..

But all the same, if you don't like claws, don't pull a tiger's tail!

Time to call it quits - I've got to be up at 04:15 tomorrow morning to deal with Flame - I'm still trying to get used to the way that she likes to play about!

Back tomorrow.

Karen.

Don't let the b'stards get you down.

0 comments: