Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Getting over the weekend...

I had a quiet weekend, doing very little - apart from getting my hair streaked. Instead of going for the normal blonde, I've opted for red streaks. Not a vivid red, but a subtle dark red.

To be honest, I was quite apprehensive, as I'd got horrible visions of it going wrong, but when it was done, the result was really surprising. Far from being the vivid red that I'd feared the streaks would be (as the colourant was a bright red colour), they're quite subtle, and you've got to get me in decent light to see them.

I've also managed to achieve a miracle. I've stopped my line manager from calling me by an "nickname" of sorts, my surname with a "Y" added on the end. Admittedly, I did drop myself in it rather a long way, and caused a lot of hilarity in the office, as I was aiming at a colleague, who was encouraging the use of the hated "nickname". Instead of me saying to my colleague "Shut your trap.... " I got the name wrong.

Thankfully, my line manager has taken it in good humour, and admitted that he hadn't actually heard the comment. How he failed to do so is beyond me, but I was quite grateful. It's also had the additional benefit that I'm now just called "Karen" instead of anything else!

So, now my next "task" is to get a new nickname established, as most of the people who know me call me "Kaz", which I will admit, used to annoy me, but as I've gotten older it doesn't bother me so much...

Slightly off topic, this e-mail was sent to me by an American e-mail friend....

A worldwide survey was conducted by the UN. The only question asked was:

"Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?" The survey was a huge failure.....


Coz in Africa they didn't know what 'food' meant, in India they didn't know what 'honest' meant; in Europe they didn't know what 'shortage' meant; in China they didn't know what 'opinion' meant; in the Middle East they didn't know what 'solution' meant; in South America they didn't know what 'please' meant; and in the USA they didn't know what 'the rest of the world' meant.

Oops! Time for me to log off & bog off - I've got to go and help set up the stand for the conference tomorrow.

Back later, if I get the chance....

Karen.

Don't let the b'stards get you down.

0 comments: