Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Getting the news

Well, I’ve had the ‘phone call that I have been waiting for. Mum’s got to go back into hospital to have all the metalwork in her right leg removed.

It turns out that Mum should have had this metalwork removed when she had the first part of the broken screw removed back in 2006. But, hindsight is a wonderful thing, and at least the surgeon is going to get Mum sorted out.

He said that the one piece of screw is making a break for freedom (again) and the Russell Taylor nail that is in her right femur has dropped down slightly, straightening the bent screw. In a way, this isn’t such a bad thing, but the nail runs the risk of eventually dropping down on to the knee cap and causing problems.

Because this needs sorting, the surgeon has put in the notes that the metalwork is causing an infection, and that Mum needs to be treated as an urgent case. She had the option of going into hospital next week, but she has decided that she will go in on Wednesday 6th January.

Ok – that’s not a problem, as I’ve booked the time off (there is no way that I am going to allow anyone else to take Mum into hospital) and it should only be an overnight stay, and I have no intention of being in the playpen whilst Mum is in hospital – I was nearly worse than useless when she had the partial hip replacement.

But, as far as I am concerned, she’s in the best hands possible – she’s seeing the sawbones that put her back together after the car accident, and that’s all I can ask for, as the guy is a human being first and a surgeon second. Now I know that sounds really mean, but I’ve had the misfortune to be treated by surgeons who are only interested in the bit that is being treated – they tend to forget that there is a patient attached.

Ah well, guess I should get some work done before I log off (and go bowling)

Back tomorrow with the results of the bowling….

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: