Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Making an escape…

Well, I’m back from Chester, and am back in the playpen. Nothing seems to have changed but I really don’t care. Why? Because I’ve got the start of a cold, and am slowly but surely, losing my voice.

Aside from that, the trip to Chester was just what I needed. Friday, Mum and I headed for Cheshire Oaks. (See Chesire Oaks Designer Outlet )  It’s a shopping outlet village, with shops ranging from good old Marks & Spencer to places like Tag Heuer, and Bose, with everything in between.

It was a rather peculiar layout I have to admit, and I can’t see that there would be much room for expansion, but that didn’t put me off – especially as there was one of my favourite shops there – Cadburys. Ok – I’ve heard all the jokes about women and chocolate, but there are two chocolate bars that I am very fond of – one is the Fudge bar, and the other is the Curly Wurly. So, I will admit I took the opportunity to get some.

But that wasn’t the only thing I found. I found something rather special – mulled apple juice. No – I’m not joking – this has the traditional mulled wine spices in fresh (cloudy) apple juice and tastes… Mmmmm – perfect.

As Mum and I were leaving, there were people driving around the car park, frantically looking for spaces, and I remember thinking that we had been right to get up at the crack of sparrow fart, otherwise we may have struggled for a space…

We were staying at the Premier Inn near the park and Ride (think it’s the one attached to the Twirl of Hay). Now I have no complaints about the service – far from it. The staff were superb, and the only thing that let the accommodation down (in my opinion) was the pub / restaurant that it was attached to.

The menu was (again, in my opinion) lacking in imagination, and the tables were crammed together, making you feel like you were having an intimate dinner with the couple on the next table. Add into that, the service was not exactly wonderful, and you begin to get the gist of my grump.

Aside from the grumps about the service, we had an “extra” in our room – a cluster of ladybirds that were trying to hibernate. One was rather adventurous, and kept walking all across the walls and ceiling of the room, so we christened that one Ranulf Fiennes (after the explorer).

Chester itself was beautiful, and I’m still amazed at the number of independent jewellers that are there. In a way, I guess that I shouldn’t be surprised, as it’s jokingly refered to as “footballer country” as it’s within easy commuting distance of Manchester.

Aside from that, Chester seemed relatively unscathed by the recession – but I know from experience that appearances can be deceiving. There were quite a few empty shops on the split level shopping rows, but talking to the staff in a wonderful shop called The Royal Perfumery said that the empty shops tended not to stay empty for too long.

The Royal Perfumery itself is a little goldmine. I went in, out of pure curiosity, and found perfumes and aftershaves that I’ve not seen for many years, or been able to find on the mainland (things like Monsieur Balmain – a wonderful lemon scented aftershave). The last time I was able to find this, was on Jersey, in a shop called Au Caprice. Like Au Caprice, The Royal Perfumery does mail order, and unlike purchases from Jersey, I don’t have to worry about Customs!

The one thing that I did notice was the number of little coffee shops and snack bars – all of which were pretty much packed out. But Mum and I did strike lucky – we found a pub serving food, and had a table outside.

Now I’m not normally a great fan out outdoor tables – especially in December, but the inside of the pub (can’t remember what it was called for the life of me – just remember that it was up a set of steps and was up almost a little back alley way) was like an oven – not something that would do me much good, or Mum for that matter. The food wasn’t bad at all – I had a Panini with ham, cheese and pineapple salsa – very tasty.

Sunday, we were heading for home, and we made several stops en-route – one of them was to a craft centre that was between Bridgemere Garden World, and Stapely Water Gardens (again – can’t remember the name of the place) and we saw pieces of Lorna Bailey’s work (the Collectable Cats) for very reasonable prices, as well as pieces of Moorcroft – again for prices that are a fraction of what I had seen them for at antique and collector fairs here in Warwickshire.

The real fun started when we got home though. Mum had turned the central heating boiler to low, meaning that the heating wouldn’t run whilst we were away (and waste gas / heat with no-one there to benefit). She tried to turn it back onto the timed settings, and… Pop. The main breaker blew in the garage. We tried about four times, with the same result each time – the main breaker blew. Thankfully, both Mum and I had hot water bottles, which were cuddled with my glee (mainly because they were so warm!)

Yesterday, we planned to go to Milton Keynes (the last time we go down there before Christmas – it was nuts enough trying to park as it was!) Mind you, this wasn’t helped by getting caught in the aftermath of an accident about ¾ of a mile away from the island where the A5 crosses the A43.

It looked like someone had tried to overtake, and met another vehicle coming the other way. To be honest, there wasn’t much left of the one car – the front end was all bashed in, and the other car wasn’t in much better condition – I could see that both airbags had been deployed.

We got thought that little hassle, and then got into the centre of Milton Keynes. Ok – the centre itself is totally pedestrian friendly, but there is parking very close by – if you don’t mind paying (I think) £1.30 an hour. But, it’s free if you have a blue disabled parking badge.

What I was amazed at, was the number of people that seemed to be in the centre. It was almost as everyone in the local area who wasn’t working had decided to descend on Milton Keynes.

We didn’t get very much – ok – I managed to get a book I’d been after in Waterstones - I’d seen it in hardback, and was unwilling to pay £25.00 for it – it was £10.99 in paperback. It’s called Atomic - The First War of Physics and the Secret History of the Atom Bomb: 1939-49 by Jim Baggott.


We then headed for home (having stopped off to do some food shopping) and decided to have another try with the boiler, before we called British Gas, to get them out to sort the dratted thing out (again).

Only for the dratted thing to fire up, and start working. What caused it to blow the breakers, I have no idea at all, but I’m not one to look a gift horse (or in this case a boiler) in the mouth.

Ah well, guess I should get on with some w*rk, but I’m suffering from a severe case of TNFI.

Back later,

Karen


Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: