Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Of a Ship and a Fort

There has been one place that Mum and I have been meaning to visit every time we go to Madeira, but never do. The São Tiago Fort.

Why? Because this fort is next to the hotel that Mum and I stay in! Well, we finally decided to go and have a look…

We’d been into Funchal, and decided to take a gentle walk back. I’d stopped to go into one of the shops on the way back to the hotel – the idea being that as I walk faster than Mum, I would catch up with her. As I was walking back to join her, I heard this very loud horn blast, and Mum yelling “move it” and gesturing towards the sea front.

I did as I was told for once, and am so glad I did. Simply because the largest cruise liner currently afloat – Royal Caribbean’s Independence of the Seas was making its majestic way into port.




Mum and I watched it docking, whilst we had a drink at the restaurant that was next to the cable car, and discussed our plans for the rest of the day. As it was still fairly early, we decided to head back to the hotel room, drop off the little bit of shopping that we had picked up (fresh fruit from the market) and head to the fort.

The fort holds a Modern Art museum (not something I am particularly keen on) but the views were something rather special – especially as there was a fantastic view of the port (or the harbour as I keep calling it!)



As well as the views across the harbour, you could get some lovely photographs of the old town, as well as the view up towards Monte.




Ah well – time to call this quits – I’m supposed to be getting ready to go out.

Back later.


Karen


Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: