Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Funchal and its' delights - The Farmer's Market

The one thing that does stick in my mind (for all the right reasons) is the Mercado dos Laverdores – the Farmer's market. This has such a buzz about it – even better on a Friday and Saturday, as the local people go to do their weekend fruit, vegetable and fish shopping.



There's such a buzz about this place, and the stallholders were only too happy to allow me to photgraph their stalls - not unreasonably they are very proud as the majority of the fruit and vegtables were grown near Funchal.



Don’t get me wrong – I’m not knocking this market – far from it. It was a real joy to go there and see all the different fruit and vegetables (makes me realise just what we’ve lost here in the UK) as well as the fresh fish. Not to mention all the other silly bits that you can get (like my Poncha for starters!)



Yet for me, it was the wide variety of fresh fish that was available.  Everything from sardines, through to octopuss, tuna and most surprisingly of all, fang tooth Moray Eel.



This was something special, as I'd never seen them for sale in the market.  I'd seen the Black Scabbard fish everytime I'd been there, as well as Tuna and other fish.  What the Fang Tooth tastes like, I have no idea.




Ah well, guess I should call this quits - I'm supposed to be working, not blogging! (Yes, I'm back in the playpen...)

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: