Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Back from Madeira

Well, I’m back, and am back at my own PC. The flight back from Madeira wasn’t too bad – we bounced about three times when we landed. Not to mention the fact that we seemed to use the entire length of the runway at Birmingham Airport, but given that it was a fully loaded B757-200, I could understand why…

The check in was the normal mad scramble, and the queues seemed to be moving slightly faster than normal. This was apparently due to a new handling company that holiday company were using at the airport.

My only “grump” was the pick up from the hotel. We were collected at 10:15, and given that it takes 30 mins or so to get to the airport, I would have preferred an earlier pick up. That way, there would be time to have a look at the airside shops, rather than rushing though security and passport control to get to the boarding gate.

The flight itself wasn’t too bad – ok, it was still cramped, but the crew seemed friendlier, and more willing to help. The only annoying part (aside from the lack of legroom) was the patronising safety video. The woman who was sitting next to Mum thought that it was “cute”- we just found it patronising.

Why? Simple. They had used kids about 4 or 5 years old to explain things, and within about 30 seconds of the film starting, I found myself switching off, and reading my book. Ok – I know that it’s a strict no-no, but I’ve flown an awful lot of times on a wide variety of aircraft (everything from a Short 360 to the B777), and am quite capable of reading the safety card on my own.

That grump aside, it wasn’t too bad. At least the food was better – this time it was recognisable at least. There was one thing that was suspect, but Mum identified it as spinach. I don’t care that it does give Popeye muscles – I loathe the stuff, so that was avoided like the plague.

Once we’d landed at Birmingham, I walked ahead of Mum to get though immigration (sorry – UK Border Control – and if the woman dealing with me had smiled, she would have cracked her face – miserable moo!) and went to get the trolley….

Now for the nasty surprise. Birmingham airport in their infinite “wisdom” have decided to charge either £1.00 or €2.00 for a trolley. Normally I wouldn’t object as this is normally refunded when the trolley is returned to its correct location. Not this time. It’s a flat fee and tough luck if you don’t have any cash with you. Oh, sure, it would take Pound Stirling notes (either £5.00 or £10.00) but if you didn’t have anything those…

The cases finally arrived, and Mum and I walked though Customs with a clear conscience for the pair of us. Ok – Mum was bringing in 2 kilos of Madeiran garlic cloves, and a Dendrobium orchid plant (complete with the correct paperwork). Me? I was bringing in 1 litre of Lemon Poncha and 0.5 litres of Tangerine Poncha, but as my spirits were duty paid (bought in the Mercado dos Laverdores (the Farmer's Market)) in Funchal, no problems.

Ah well, guess I should call this quits – I want to get some sleep tonight.

Back tomorrow with more details and the obligatory photographs….

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go

Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: