Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Monte

This is somewhere that is a real haven of peace, away from the hustle and bustle of Funchal. It's also cooler, and whilst in Funchal, it can be brilliant sunshine, you can end up looking like a drowned rat in Monte!

I will admit, trying to take photos whilst the cable car is running is something of an art, but it's one that I seem to have been able to master (if I do say so myself!)



One of my favourite places in Monte, is the little restaurant / bar that is attached to the cable car building. Why? Because of the fabulous views over the port of Funchal, as well as Funchal itself.


Aside from the views, Monte is known for a number of things - Monte Palace Tropical Gardens (I'll do a separate post on this!), the Toboggan and the Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora do Monte - also known as Mother Church of Our Lady of Monte.

The toboggan is one of those things that you have to experience (yes - I have done so) and I remember pelting down the road on a wickerwork toboggan and going sideways at several points along the route!


But the best thing (or most scary thing - depending on your outlook) is that the route is actually along public highways. I will admit to one thing - I would be loathe to park my car on the route, as at one point, I really thought we were going to end up embedded in the side of a brand new VW Polo!


Not far from the toboggans, is the church. But, there is a catch (isn't there always?) You have to climb 74  steps to get to the church.



However, this is well worth the climb, as the interior is something very special. OK - it's not as ornate as the Cathedral, but this is just as special in its own way...





The ceiling of this Church is something that really stunned me. The last time I was there, I freely admit to missing it - not this time!



But there is more to Monte than just the gardens, toboggans and the church.  Just a short walk from the toboggans, is the village square, complete with its own little cafe and shop.  Again, it's just so pleasant to sit there, and just watch the world go by...



But not only is there the cafe & shop, there is a lovely shrine to the Virgin Mary.  It never fails to amaze me, and the flower displays are always immaculate.







Ah well guess I should call this quits - I've been staring at a computer screen for too long today.

Back later if I get the chance.

Karen


Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: