Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Funchal and it's delights - the Municipal Museum

Something that is not really well publicised, is the Municipal Museum. This houses a small aquarium, with native marine animals (including some ferocious looking Fang Tooth Moray Eels) as well as showing some rather interesting stuffed animals that show the natural history of the archipelago.

It's housed in a really attractive building, and some of the interior features really caught my imagination - including the screen across a window:



Up on the first floor, was a facinating display of stuffed birds, fish and some animals.



There was an additional bonus for me – there was an exhibition of… Spiders.Yes, spiders. Live ones. No pictures I’m afraid, but there were two that stuck in my memory. One because of the name - the Wedding Present spider.

No, I’m not joking. This is a genuine spider. Not really something that would normally be memorable (it looked rather insignificant if I’m honest), but the name made me smile.

The other spider that I can recall quite clearly, is the Desertas Tarantula. By the standards of most other tarantulas, it was quite delicate, but it was really pretty –as I said, I’m afraid I couldn’t get any photographs – wish I could have done, as they would have made great screensavers…

Ah well - I'm comming to the end of my lunchbreak, so I guess I should get ready to head back to my desk...

Back later.

Karen


Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: