Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Funchal & it's delights - Jardim Orquidea and the Botanical Gardens

The one thing that I really love is the flowers and gardens in Madeira. The best example for me is Jardim Orquida (see http://www.madeiraorchid.com/), which houses some of the most magnificent orchids that I have ever seen (or had the pleasure of photographing) I just wish I could have captured the scent of some of the orchids - it was truly knock out - especially the Cattalaya orchids.

The entrance to Jardim Orquida is nothing much to look at, on first glance. However, it's when you get inside that the magic really happens.


There were so many orchids (and I took so many photos) that it's hard to say what really caught my imagination the most. But the one thing that really stuck out for me, was the variety of orchids that were on display - including Vanda orchids that ranged in colour from a very pale blue/mauve to a rich blue (as in my photo below)


Some of the flowers were just weird (and I admit - I don't know very many of the names!)


Bu the one that did catch my eye, was a Dendrobium:



The one thing that did upset me, was the fact that some of the plants weren't labeled. When I asked why, I was told that it was for security reasons, as the plants tended to be the rarer varieties. This was because in the past, when they had been labeled, orchid collectors had stolen the plants.

The only thing I wanted to do was take photographs - and curse that I don't have the right cultivation conditions for these beautiful plants. But that doesn't stop me trying - OK - more to the point, doesn't stop Mum trying - she went and bought one of the plants that was on sale. A Dendrobium (don't think it was the one I liked though). She brought it back in her flight bag and it is now growing happily in the kitchen.

After we went to Jardim Orquidea, Mum and I walked to the Botanical Gardens. (See http://www.madeirabotanicalgarden.com/)  Ok - it's supposed to be 200 metres from where we were, but the trouble was there were no obvious signs and I guess that Mum and I walked more like 500 metres.  But as far as I was concerned, it was well worth it.  Why? Because we came in at the bottom end of the garden, near the Cycads.




Ok - I admit it - I have a real love of these facinating prehistoric plants, and everywhere that they grew, I tried to get photographs.  Don't ask me what species they were, because I honestly don't know.  But that wasn't the only attraction of the Botanical Garden for me. 

Whilst Mum was resting with a cold drink (she wasn't feeling too good) I made my escape and found all sorts of interesting things to photograph - including plants that I didn't even know flowered.  Why?  Because here in the UK, we treat them as foliage plants - things like the Swiss Cheese plant (Monstera Edulis)



The central spathe of this plant is edible, and is sold in the market as a fruit.  It's an aquired taste, I have to admit, but it was one that I did manage to aquire...



There was such a wide variety of plants that there is no way that I can show everything that I saw.  The one thing that I do remember (for a variety of reasons) was the carpet bedding display.




There are channels of water between parts of the displays, and the reason I remember this, is because they were covered with algae, and I had to warn Mum that they were not grass... 

However, someone also thought that they were grass.  I was photographing the Cactus display that over looks the carpet bedding when I heard a splash.  Yes, you guessed it, someone had tried to walk on the "grass" and fell into the water.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh.

Aside from that, there were lots of things that I found facinating (apart from the cycads) - including a Ginger Lilly that was taller than me!



But the plants weren't the only thing that caught my imagnination.  The spectacular scenery was something that I just couldn't resist trying to get photographs of:



Aside from the plants (and spectacular scenery) the peacocks that strutted around the gardens seemed to show no fear of visitors.  I managed to get a couple of shots whilst I was taking a quick break (ok - I was seated reviewing some photos on my camera!)



However, the real fun came when I joined Mum at the coffee shop.  There were about three peacocks "mugging" people for crumbs (and larger bits if they could get them) and two of them were "scared" (I use the term very loosly) by one of the rangers who was near by.  The third peacock hid, and when the ranger's back was turned, made the most of the lack of competition!



But the others didn't stay away for long, and by the time Mum and I left, there were five peacocks - the other two had brought their mates with them!

Ah well - guess I should call this quits - I need to get some sleep as I'm back in the playpen tomorrow.

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: