Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

What a weekend....

Saturday was quite good - I went into Coventry and met up with Carole and Amber - who seemed determined to play up - at least whilst she was with her mother! In the end, Carole got so fed up with her, she detatched the wrist strap from her arm, and said "here - you look after the little monster".

As soon as I put the strap around my wrist, Amber was as good as gold, walking along, sucking her thumb, and clinging onto me for grim death! (I think it might have been something to do with the fact that I promised her a Thornton's chocolate lolly!)

I left the pair of them later in the afternoon and got my hair cut / coloured, and got myself seriously relaxed, as I was going to be driving down to RHS Wisley - to see my daft friend.

I was supposed to meet up with him at 10:00, but I managed to get caught up in the aftermath of an accident on the M40... He called me at 09:35, and said that he was at Wisley, and wanted to know where I was!

Answer - belting down the M40 towards Princes Risborough, at a rather rapid pace (ok - about 90mph!) and was doing my best to get to Wisley with a clean driving license!

I got to Wisley at 10:15, and got parked, and walked up to my friend - who called out across the carpark...

"So what time do you call this, lover?"

I just grinned, as I saw the look on people's faces - they just didn't know what to make of the pair of us, especially as he hugged me - and to be honest, I thought he was trying to break my ribs - it was like a bear hug! I didn't object, as I knew that he didn't mean any harm, and that it was just his normal way of greeting me.

We walked across to the entrance of the gardens, and as I was smart enough to have grabbed Mum's RHS card, we got in for free - pest and guest!

The first thing that you see when you walk in, is a water Lilly pond, and there was a suggestion that I was used as a depth gauge - as in throw me in to see how deep it was! I pointed out that any attempt to do that would result in him being pulled in with me!

That made him laugh, and I suggested that we went to get a coffee - my treat, by way of an apology for being late. We sat talking, and it was like I'd only seen him a few days ago - I felt so relaxed in his company.

We decided to take a walk around the gardens, and swapped jokes and stories, and generally got to know each others' likes and dislikes... What I didn't realise was that he is very keen on roses - and I've suggested that next rose season, we head up to Austin Roses at Albrighton.

What I didn't realise at the time, was the fact that we share a similar outlook on life - as in there are friends that you trust to a certain extent, and then there are the friends that you trust implicitly - and would move heaven & earth to help.

I know this sounds silly, but this fella is one of those people that I would gladly drop everything and help - even if it was only just to provide an ear for him to bend, and a shoulder to fall apart on. Equally - I know that it works the other way, as he was the one who stopped me from calling it quits earlier in the year.

As the gardens closed at 15:45, we decided to go to a nearby pub (The Anchor - just outside Wisley village) where we just sat chatting about all sorts of things, and generally putting the world to rights once again.
When we finally decided that we could do no more about the world, we called it quits - with promises of not leaving it so damned long before we met up again, as the pair of us had really enjoyed spending the day together.

I still stand by what I said the first time that I met him - he's a really sweet fella, and if we were both single and lived closer to each other (he lives about 100 miles south of me!) I would seriously consider having a crack at him, as he's the sort of fella who I can relax with, and lose the hard nosed cow image....

And no - no matter what happens - I'm not going to let anything spoil my friendship - my other half knows damned well that there are some things that are non-negotiable -and this is one of them!

Suppose I should call it quits - I'm supposed to be working, not blogging!
Back tomorrow if I get the chance.
Karen.
I walk where others fear to tread

0 comments: