Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Heading up the rock... And playing with the monkeys!

Wednesday, Mum and I decided that we would head up the Rock, and see the monkeys. There were large notices saying that it was a £500 fine for feeding the monkeys, and tourists were advised to keep plastic bags out of their way, as they (the monkeys) associated the bags with food, and would rip them open if they couldn't steal them!

To get up the rock there are several ways - you can walk (a non-starter for Mum), get a tour of Gibraltar (which was expensive - the tours were about £40 per hour!) and the other way was to get the cable car.

That was the option that Mum and I took, and on the way up, I was able to get some really good photographs. (The camera has proven to be one hell of an investment!)


As we got towards to top of the rock, Mum and I spotted what we thought were scrawny chickens... It turned out that they were Barbery Partridges - and are extremely rare!
As we entered the visitor "centre", Mum and I both noticed that there were large signs warning about carrying plastic carrier bags. It turns out that the monkeys associate them with food, and will either snatch them away from you, or will tear them open to steal the food! We saw this happen, unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough with the camera to get the proof!


The views were phenomenal, and as I was looking, I spotted an aircraft... Ok - I thought that it was going to land in Spain, as the approach didn't seem right...


Then , the aircraft banked, and appeared to be skimming the waves!

The landing was something that I was interested to see, as I knew for a fact that the runway was rather intimidating - water on three sides!





The Monkeys were all over the place, and some would even pose for a photograph - if you were quick enough!


Suppose I should log off and bog off - I'm supposed to be getting on with some housework!

Back later, if I get the chance...

Karen.
I walk where others fear to tread

0 comments: