Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Getting a haircut in a dying city

I went into Coventry on Saturday with Mum for a haircut, and as my appointment was 11:30, it meant that I had time to wander 'round the shops.

Fine in theory, but in practice, not really a good idea. The city seemed to be dying, and the city planners don't seem to be interested in reviving the heart. I know they have all these plans to revitalise things, but whether anything comes of it remains to be seen.

The main shopping centre (West Orchard) has quite a few empty shops, and moving away from there, things seem to be getting worse. There was a time when Hertford Street and Corporation Street were vibrant with shoppers, but not any more.

People seem to be reluctant to go into the city and it needs something to drag people back into the centre, and away from places like Banbury and Solihull. Primark has gone part way to helping bring people back, but there is still a distinct lack of appeal for most shoppers.

As for my haircut, well that was great fun. Because my hair was so long (I'd left it about 6 months before I got it cut, due to various reasons conspiring to delay me) I had the cut done first, followed by the colouring stage.

As I've gotten older, the grey has started to show through my hair, so Paul (my hairdresser) suggested a semi-permanent base, followed by the highlights. If it was anyone else who'd suggested this course, I would have been very sceptical but Paul has never tried to push me down a route that I would not have been happy with.

The results have been well worth the time that I spent, and am now a lot happier as my hair was driving me nuts (and it didn't help with my beloved calling me Fluffy.) But, I guess that comes with the territory...

Guess I should call this quits - I'm supposed to be working...

Back later, I guess.

Karen

I've been watching, I've been waiting
In the shadows for my time

0 comments: