Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Catching the book bug....

Those rare people who know me, know that I am quite a keen reader, and I am only too pleased to share the book that I am reading at the moment. It's called Winning is not enough, and is Sir Jackie Stewart's autobiography.

I admit to having tried to read this book several times, but I never really seemed to settle with it... Until today. And I can't put it down!

It details his life, from his humble beginning as the youngest son of a garage owner in Dumbarton, to becoming one of the greats of motor racing. I've just finished the chapter where he described the horror of losing friends in various racing accidents, and the lengths that he and the GPDA (Grand Prix Drivers Association) went to to improve safety at the various circuits.

Reading the descriptions of the various accidents brought home to me just how much the current set of racers owe to people like him, as the last fatality on a race track was that horrible weekend in May 1994, when Roland Ratzenberger and the great Ayrton Senna were killed at Imola.

But this is not the only autobigraphy that I've read in the past week or so... I've also read Eric Clapton's autobiography.




This book really moved me, and again, was one that I found difficult to put down. It dealt with everything from his early childhood, through to his breakthrough with the Yardbirds, the formation of the world's first so-called super groups (Cream) and the subsequent development of his career.

The one bit that I did find hard to read was the description of the death of his son, Connor and the subsequent events. It made me realise that there is a lot more to his songs than just great guitar chords.

When I finish Winning is Not Enough, I'll do a full review, as I think it is a book that really merits a post of its own...

Guess I should call this quits - my lunchbreak is nearly over.

Back when I get chance.

Karen

I've been watching, I've been waiting
In the shadows for my time

0 comments: