Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Stratford, Shakespeare, Silverstone and a shattered dream

This weekend has been such a rollercoaster of emotion, I'm not sure quite where to start, so I guess I’ll start with Saturday – that seems the logical place to start.

Saturday, I’d agreed to meet my beloved after he’d finished work, which suited me fine, as it meant that I could go shopping without Mum being with me – I wanted to go shopping without her being with me. Don’t get me wrong, I do enjoy shopping with Mum, it’s just that it makes life rather difficult for me if I want to get her something that she doesn’t know about.

In this case, it was trying to get the last little bits of Mum’s birthday present (I wanted to get the new Meat Loaf album – Hang Cool Teddy Bear) as well as getting a birthday card for her.


So, I decided to head into Stratford-upon-Avon. Not a problem, as I was using the park and ride that drops you off in the centre of town (just at the top end of Wood Street.) Or at least is does normally. However, because Friday was Shakespeare’s birthday, the town council decided to close the centre of the town off to traffic and have a parade, and cause mayhem.

Because of this, the revised drop off point was the back of Marks and Spencer – the bottom of Bridge Street (and well away from where I wanted to be!) Thankfully, it wasn’t too much of a hardship to cut through M & S, and out onto the main shopping street.

Where I was confronted with barriers blocking my exit across the road, and more police (or more accurately community support officers) than I had seen since the Bulldog Bash swung into the area last year.

Thankfully, the light controlled pedestrian crossings were accessible, meaning that I could go into Clinton Cards to get the first of my requirements – Mum’s birthday card.

That was relatively simple, and I found one that wasn’t sickly sweet or too offensive (and didn’t cost a fortune either!) As I got to the pay desk, I noticed a sign saying that it was cash only (again, not a problem – I’d got the cash to pay). It turned out that there was a problem with the card machine, and the sales assistant was really apologetic about it. I wasn’t worried, and thought no more of it until I went into my favourite shop – Lush.

I will admit, I only went in to get two items Running to the Embassy



and the solid serum bar that I use as a night time skin treatment Saving Face


At least that was the plan. I ended up buying a shower gel as well – Butterball. It’s a really nice scent (one that I’ve become quite keen on, since I first tried it in Chester and thought that it was too sweet for my liking – amazing what a second sniff can do!)

So, I decided to pay with plastic. Or at least I did until the machine refused my card. I was mortified, as I knew that I had been paid, and had plenty of money in my account. But, it was only a short walk to the bank, so I was quite happy to pay in cash, and go to the cashpoint to replace what I had spent.

Just as I was about to leave, another customer tried her card (think it was a different bank to mine) and had the same result. It then dawned on me that it may be linked to the same issue that Clinton cards were having with their card reader. So, that put my mind at rest, and allowed me to continue my wanderings.

I was somewhat surprised when I realised that one shop that had been in Stratford for years (I bought a Beswick Thelwell there many years ago) had closed, leaving a rather forlorn looking empty shop.

There were plenty of people in fancy dress, and I was trying to work out what was going on… It turned out that there was a parade to celebrate Shakespeare’s birthday the first Saturday after the 23rd of April – which was Friday. Hence the reason for the town centre being closed off and people walking about in fancy dress.

The first part of the parade wasn’t too bad – it was the Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers. Now normally I wouldn’t object, but it sounded like they were playing Colonel Bogey!

The parade itself I didn’t stick around for – I was getting fed up with people bumping into me with their huge backpacks and cameras (and generally getting in my way!)

So, it was time to fight my way back though the hoards (most of whom seemed to have no manners at all) and get back to the bus stop. As I approached, I saw the bus departing, meaning that I had to wait for the next one (which was practically empty, apart from one other passenger who was intent on grumping about practically everything that the town council had or hadn’t done.)

As I’d got time to kill, I decided to take the scenic route to Banbury, and took the car down some very nice country roads (which have stupid 50mph speed limits on them!)

I got to the Green Man (where I’d arranged to meet my beloved) and he arrived shortly after I did (ok – about 2 min after me!) I decided to treat him to a pint, as it had been a bit of a rough week for him and I was determined to help him relax.

We sat in the sunshine talking about the things that mattered to the pair of us, and as he wanted to go to Silverstone Harley Davidson, I said that I would drive to give him a break, as he was suffering from eye strain (staring at a computer screen too long!)

The trip was quite good, and I managed to get a teddy bear (Ok – it’s a polar bear with a black and white Santa hat on saying Harley Holidays, and it’s holding a candy cane)


I also got a bright (and I mean bright) yellow T-shirt with the words See Me Now (Ok - the one in the picture is orange...)




We headed back to the Green Man, and sat talking about the various bits and pieces, and tried to decide where to go for dinner. We ended up going to the diner just off the A43 – Buddies.

As it was my treat, my beloved decided to have the foot long hot dog. Me? I opted for the Tennessee Chicken, which suited me down to the ground. When the food arrived, I was amazed at the size of the hot dog, and began to wonder if my beloved had bitten off more than he could chew…

I needn’t have worried. He managed to finish it off, and looked like a contented man, albeit a rather stuffed one.

We parted on really good terms as per normal, as he was falling asleep (I'm not surprised after that hot dog!) and made me promise that I would let him know that I was home ok. I got a really good run home, and was back just before 21:30…

Sunday was a different kettle of fish altogether. Gianni (my vet) had managed to find a couple of horses that he thought I might be interested in. I will admit that I wasn’t too keen on the idea, bit was of the opinion “what the hell” and decided to go along with him and Mum.

It was a disaster. I didn’t click with either of the horses (in fact the one little b’stard tried to take a lump out of me) and the breeder? Well, he left an awful lot to be desired, and it resulted in me telling him where he could go and shove himself for all I cared.

On the way back (after we’d stopped for a really nice lunch at a pub en-route – can’t recall the name for the life of me) I managed to get the agreement from both Gianni and Mum that they would leave the search for a while, as all it was doing was upsetting me and causing more hassle than it was really worth.

If I get my way, I’ll start looking sometime in the New Year – that way, well meaning people will take the hint and leave me the hell alone. I know that they mean well, and I do appreciate the time and effort that has been put into the search, but it really isn’t doing me any favours.

Trying to explain to people that I will know when the horse is right for me isn’t easy, but as my beloved said, I would know when I had found the perfect horse. And I get the feeling that it may involve me going back to Norfolk…

Ah well, I guess that I should call this quits – I'm supposed to be working, not blogging.

Back tomorrow, if I get the chance….

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: