Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Jardim Orquídea and the Botanical Garden

Mum and I decided that one of the places that we really wanted to revisit was Jardim Orquídea. So, as it was quite a walk (it’s a fair way out of the city centre and is up some tremendously steep hills) we decided to take a taxi.

Now normally, this isn’t a problem, but the taxi driver seemed only too keen to wait for us, telling us that we wouldn’t be there that long, and that he would drive us to the Botanical Gardens.

We politely declined the offer, and walked into Jardim Orquídea, with me carefully taking my camera out, ready to start taking photographs of the fabulous plants. As per normal, Mum and I split up, meaning that we both got different photographs of the various orchids (most of which I cannot identify to save my life!)

I can recall that this one is Macropelata ...
Paphiopedilum (I think)
No idea - think it might be a Miltonia...
No idea.
Think this one is a Dendrobium
Cymbidium

Phalenopis (no idea of variety)
Vanda
Think this one is a Cattalaya
In total, Mum and I spent about 2 hours there, walking around, taking photographs (and I was cursing the fact that I don’t have the right environment to keep some of these beautiful plants.) However, Mum fell for a plant and bought it. I think it was a little Cattalaya, but I know that it was only €12.

It was then time to head to the Botanical Gardens, which is allegedly 500m from Jardim Orquídea. What the guide books don’t tell you is that you almost need a mountain climbing kit, and the agility of a mountain goat to get there.

Because Mum was (and still is) suffering from Sciatica, we stopped halfway there (ok – we sat on a wall) to get a brief break before making the final ascent to the Botanical Gardens.

Once there, it was a case of walking to the coffee shop / café, where I left Mum and made my escape around the gardens. I know it sounds awful that I left her on her own, but she was quite happy as she had a couple of guide books and the paper to read. Me? I escaped with my camera, spare batteries and a bottle of water as it was quite hot - I think it was about 27 degrees Celsius (no idea what that is in Fahrenheit)

So, it was off to explore, and in my case, head straight for the Cycads.


These plants are the remnants of the mighty plants that were munched by the plant eating dinosaurs in the Jurassic age. Me? I adore them, as I think that the actual structure of the plant makes for some really stunning photographs.

 


Aside from the Cycads, the Botanical gardens are a real treasure trove of plants and flowers – everything from the traditional endemic plants found on the island, to the commercially important crops (such as apples and Monstera delicosa) to flowers such as the Hibiscus and quite a wide range of cacti.


The flower of Monstera delicosa






 The one flower that I was really pleased to be able to finally get a photograph of, was the White Bird of Paradise:

 
Strelitzia nicolai

Other things that caught my eye weren’t actually the plants – they were animals. As I was photographing the Cycads, I spotted a white peacock. It was a true white, as opposed to an albino, as the eye was black.

 

But the one thing that really made me smile was a lizard. Yes, a lizard. I’d stopped for a drink, and was sitting on a wall when I spotted this lizard cautiously sitting near me. Because I found it hot, I let a couple of drops of water land near the lizard (I didn’t want to scare it off) and was rewarded with the lizard staying put, allowing me to photograph it.


The one thing that did make me go green with envy was the bougainvillea that was scampering up the walls near the coffee shop. The colours were superb, and seemed to glow.


Ah well, guess I should call this quits for now – I’ve still got stuff I need to sort out for tomorrow!

Back when I get the chance…

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: