Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

I go on holiday, and what do I watch? An air show.

And no, I’m not joking. The first week of my holiday, I kept seeing posters for an air show by the Portuguese air force. I didn’t think I’d be able to watch it, but boy, was that ever wrong.

The Friday afternoon (the air show was on the Saturday) I was happily snoozing, when I heard this almighty racket – about 50 feet from the hotel. Needless to say, the language was less than polite, as I stumbled out onto the balcony.

Mum was already out there with the camera, and took this photograph:

Merlin Helicopter - noisy sod!
It turned out it was practising for the display the following afternoon, so both Mum and I got the cameras out to take some more photographs:






So, on the Saturday morning, Mum and I took our normal trip into Funchal, and on the way back, we saw the grandstand seating for the dignitaries. That made the pair of us snigger, as we realised that we would have the better view from the balcony of our hotel room!

The air show started at 16:00, and to be honest, when you compare it with US and UK air shows, it wasn’t really as enthralling as it could have been, but I guess I’ve been spoilt by watching the Farnborough air show over the years.

It started brightly enough, with a fly by display done by a C-130, which opened the loading bay door, and dropped out what appeared to be a couple of marine flares. Mum and I were both wondering what these were for. We soon found out.

C130



The noisy Merlin helicopter that had so rudely woke me up the previous afternoon was back – and this time carried out the full display that involved dropping a diver and then scooping him back up from the water.

Dropping the diver

Nearly down

Going up

Mind your head
Mission accomplished

Heading for home
Then it was the turn of the Orion. I didn’t manage to get any photos of this, as the miserable toe rag didn’t come close enough – even with the telephoto on my camera. But the real stars of the show, as far as I was concerned, were the Aérospatiale Alouette III. The two pilots gave a wonderful display, and provided some wonderful photographic opportunities


It was like watching aerial ballet.







Ah well, guess I should call this quits for now – I’m starting to fall asleep at my computer again!

Back tomorrow, if I get the chance.

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: