Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

First Day in Funchal

The first full day in Funchal, Mum and I took our normal walk into town and both of us were unsure what we would see, after the devastating floods in February.  To be honest, at first glance, there wasn't much of a change.

Or at least, not until we got to the first of the two rivers that flow through the centre of Funchal.  Last year, they were covered in Bouganvilla:


This year, it was totally different:


The bouganvilla had been swept away, along with the netting that it relied upon for support and the walls that it was attached to.

The bridge itself was also damaged:


But, once we got into the centre of Funchal, you wouldn't have know that there had been any flooding at all.  It was incredible to think that less than five months ago, this city had been inundated by tonnes of muck and gallons of water. 


However, when we walked down to the sea front that the amount of rubbish that was removed from the city became apparent:



Despite this, the island (or rather Funchal) seemed to be back to normal.  However, what the water had done to other parts of the island remained to be seen.

Ah well, guess I should call this quits - I've got to sort some bits out before I can do any more to my blog.

Back later, if I get the chance.



Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: