Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Presidential elections and other matters of importance

To be honest, I'm heartily sick of the American election. So the incumbent president won. Big deal. Ok - maybe it is a big deal for the Americans, but please, spare those of us who have no interest in American politics whatsoever..

I mean, for the past three days, the news has been overtaken by the election, and all the subsequent analysis that goes with it. If there are people so obsessed with this, put the coverage on a separate channel, and leave the rest of the news for those of us who have no interest in American politics. Ok - that's that particular rant over and done with.

Now onto another rant... I read on BBC on-line that an a fellow blogger - Queen of the Sky (see http://queenofsky.journalspace.com/) has been fired (ok - in the spirit of political correctness - her contract has been terminated) by her employer. (See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3974081.stm)

I personally feel that this is taking the matter to an extreme - and yes - I do believe in free speech - so long as you're not causing offence to your employer, and there is nothing in your contract to say that you can't mention what you do for a living. (Especially if you do most of your posting from your desk!!)

I mean, it would be a bit daft if you were working for one of the security agencies, and were blabbing secrets that could cause people to lose their lives or cause real problems for national / international security... I guess that the cautionary tale from Queen of the Sky's unfortunate situation, is avoid mentioning your employers by name...

Those people who know me, know who I work for, but I refuse point blank to name the company, simply because I know that they (the powers that be) are just a little bit sensitive about being shown in a grotty light by a disgruntled employee.

Not that I'm disgruntled - far from it. I enjoy working here, and the mere fact that I get to deal with everything from standard (and not so standard) cars right through to the big 44 tonne wagons is a bonus, as I am, by my own admission, a petrol head.

On to a little bit of world news- there's been a news flash that says "Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has fallen into a coma at the French hospital where he is under treatment, Palestinian officials confirm." God alone knows what will happen to the Palestinian people when he dies, as he's been in power for as long as most people of my generation can remember.

All that the rest of the world can hope, is that there is minimal infighting,and that the new leader is acceptable to the Israeli government of the time, and that they can resolve their differences - without resorting to bloodshed.

I know that this blog is slightly out of character for me, as I rarely mention world events, but there are some events that need to be commented on - and to Queen of the Sky - I salute you - and wish you all the luck in the world with your fight for unfair dismissal. 'Cause if it happens to one blogger, what's to stop 'Big Brother' tactics being used by other employers against us bloggers?!

Back later - if I get the chance....

Karen.

Do spiders scream when they see a big fat hairy human in the bath?

0 comments: