Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Chilling out, and missing someone…

Well, it’s back to the playpen tomorrow, and I have to admit I’m not really looking forward to it. I’ve enjoyed the peace and quiet of this bank holiday (not to mention seeing my beloved on Saturday), and am supposed to be preparing to get my stuff ready for the morning. However, at the moment, I have a severe case of TNFI…

Today has been quite good though – I went back to Milton Keynes with Mum. Now I know that I was there on Saturday, and only managed to get a couple of bits… I don’t think my mind was really on my shopping somehow!

If I’m honest, I was really looking forward to seeing my beloved, as it had been about five weeks since we’d seen each other. Yes, I know that we talk on the phone practically every day, but a phone call can’t give you a hug when you’re feeling really flat, or pull a silly face to make me smile.

But I digress. Milton Keynes was really good. Again, it was a real mixture of opening times, with some stores opening at 09:30 and others opening with their Sunday trading hours.

So, it was into McDonald’s for a Mcbreakfast (this was one of the few places that was open – aside from Dickens & Jones – which has serious delusions of grandeur, but is just overpriced).

After breakfast, Mum and I headed to Marks & Spencer, to have a look around. To be honest, I wasn’t too impressed with what I saw, and privately began to despair of finding anything that I wanted for my impending holiday.

However, things changed when Mum suggested that we headed back to a shop that had been closed when we walked past, on the way to BHS. As I’d given up on the idea of finding a swimsuit, I wasn’t really looking. Murphy’s Law seems to dictate that when you’re not looking, you will find precisely what you are looking for. This happened with my swimsuit.

It’s not anything really magical – it’s plain black with a coloured band decorating the top, but it was the fit that was the real delight. Since I tore my shoulder muscles about six years ago, I’ve had problems with the straps on my swimsuits cutting into it when the shoulder decides to swell up. This one however, has enough stretch in it to be secure when I swim (or move my arms) and still provide a comfortable fit.

Then it was trying to find a travel pack for my contact lens solution. My usual solution comes in a 360ml pack – which is too large to take in my hand luggage (you’re restricted to a maximum of 100ml for liquids) and also rather heavy to put in the case. Again, I’d given up on the idea of trying to get something suitable, but headed into Dolland & Atchison as a last resort…

And came up trumps. They had exactly what I wanted – a preservative free 3% peroxide solution, suitable for soft contact lenses. But I should have guessed that there would be a snag…

It wasn’t listed on the computer system so the poor lady who was dealing with me had to do a hand written receipt, as the head office wasn’t open today, meaning that she couldn’t get the code for the product to go into the computer. But, we overcame this difficulty by using the hand written receipt and a note of what I bought and the quantity.

But even as I was walking around Milton Keynes, all I could think about was my beloved. He seemed so tired when I saw him on Saturday, and I will admit to worrying about him overdoing things. But as I walked past a store (think it was Dorothy Perkins or somewhere like that) I heard Cindi Lauper’s song True Colours playing…

You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Oh I realise
It's hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small

But I see your true colours
Shining through
I see your true colours
And that’s why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colours
True colours are beautiful,
Like a Rainbow

Show me a smile then,
Don't be unhappy, can't remember
When I last saw you laughing
If this world makes you crazy
And you've taken all you can bear
You call me up
Because you know I’ll be there

And I see your true colours
Shining through
I see your true colours
And that’s why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colours
True colours are beautiful,
Like a Rainbow


This song always reminds me of my beloved, as he’s like me in so many ways – hiding the pain that he feels behind a cold-hearted façade, and rarely letting anyone get close to him. But to me, he’ll always be like a rainbow – something rare and precious, just like his smile.

Ah well, guess I should call this quits – I’m supposed to be getting my stuff ready for the playpen tomorrow…

Back tomorrow if I get the chance…

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: