Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Scared

I'm due to see the cardiologist at University Hospital Coventry (it used to be known as Walsgrave) this afternoon, and I don't mind admitting I'm scared out my tiny brain cell. It's stupid in a way, as I trust the guy implicitly, but that doesn’t stop the fear.

Why? Because my father died of a heart attack, and my aunt has a similar condition to me, so I guess that heart trouble is inherited from father’s side of the family. I was told whilst I was at university that I had a leaking heart valve, but not much more, and was allowed to scamper off and cause mayhem as I chose.

That’s fine when you’re 20, but I’m approaching my mid thirties, and things have changed, as in the leak has gotten worse. In hindsight, I should have kicked up more than I did, but I was more concerned with not losing my knee joint (I was told I had one more accident before I needed a replacement – scary when you’ve just turned 21!)

As it happens, it looks like I may well be used as a guinea pig for a new treatment, which means that I don’t get the “zip” effect and a shorter stay in hospital – i.e. overnight if I get my way! Hopefully, this will “cure” the problem. I use that term somewhat advisedly, as the only things that are certain in this life are death and taxes, and I am determined to make the most of whatever chance I get.

Time to call this quits – I’ve got to make tracks to the hospital.

Back later.


Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: