Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

A weekend away…

Just what I needed. I spent the weekend with my beloved, and did as little as was humanly possible. The original plan was for us to go to the F1 day at Mercedes Benz world on the Sunday. However, this went “splat” as we didn’t get allocated the tickets (allegedly 45000 people requested tickets, but my guess was that most of those requests were duplicates...) So, that put paid to the original plan.

So, we decided that we would go to RAF Hendon on Sunday, as it was undercover (the weather wasn’t supposed to be too good – and I hate the cold!) But Saturday was a different matter entirely.

My shoulder has been playing up something wicked just recently, and I went to see my tame physio, to see if I could get this sorted out. Oh, it got sorted out ok – to the extent that I threw up! Stuart was really good about it, and gave me a disposable bowl, as I was at least able to warn him, before I threw up.

That knocked me about for a few minutes, and as I had to drive south, he made me promise that I would not only take things easy, but I would let him know that I had arrived ok.

That wasn’t an issue, and I took a leisurely drive down the A5 through Towcester, and stopped en-route for a break, as I really didn’t want to push my luck with my shoulder.

I got back on the road, and my beloved called to find out where I was – I was about half an hour away, stationary at traffic lights! For once in my life, I didn’t get lost and I was able to park on the drive and go into the house and get warm.

We’d arranged to go to a firework display that night, and I will admit to being very glad that I had “Stinky” with me (my late father’s Barbour coat with the detachable furry liner!) as it was bloody cold. The display was smashing, and I will admit to jumping every time there was a loud bang – no idea why, as normally I’m not bothered by such loud bangs…

Sunday itself was quite good fun – we went to RAF Hendon, and managed to get to see the Grahame-White Factory collection  This is where the historic WWI aircraft are kept. This hangar is something rather special, because it’s the only one of its type in existence. My beloved was able to explain the story behind the hangar.

It turned out that RAF Hendon sold the land where this hangar was located, and after much bargaining, the deal was reached to move the hangar, restore it and re-build it to modern building regulations, but keep as much of the original material as possible.



After that, it was a cold walk back to the main building, and into the Milestones of Flight aircraft collection.



This hall shows little gems, such as the de Havilland Mosquito (the wooden airplane – the glue used to hold it together is still classified under the official secrets act!)



As well as more “modern” aircraft like the BAe Harrier GR3:



And the ultra modern Eurofighter Typhoon:



But my favorite aircraft, I have to admit, is the North American P-51D Mustang. Simply because I love the mascot:



It was then a short, but cold walk though the covered walkway between the two halls, into the Bomber Command Hall.  The only drawback to this is the lighting in there is appalling. This meant the flash on the camera was very heavily utilised in a vain attempt to get any kind of photo!

The one thing that I did notice, was that there was more space than before, as some of the aircraft that had been in the bomber hall had been moved to the sister museum at RAF Cosford - planes such as the Valiant, which had been moved to the Cold War exhibition at RAF Cosford.It looked like they were doing some kind of restoration on the Buccaneer that was there.

However, S for Sugar, the big Lancaster bomber was still in pride of place in the middle of the bomber hall.





That wasn’t the only little gem that I managed to find. I also managed to find the Handley Page Halifax II. This aircraft looks like it should have been sent to the scrap yard, but it was recovered from Lake Hoklingen in Norway in 1973, and was taken to RAF Hendon in 1982. Whilst we were there, there were volunteers working on the aircraft. What they were doing, I truly do not have the foggiest.



It was then time for us to head across the car park to the Battle of Britain Memorial Hall, although this is now known as the Sunderland Hall for some reason...    The exhibits are something rather special, but again, the lighting lets them down really badly.



Ok - I agree with atmospheric lighting whilst the show "Our Finest Hour" is going on, but afterwards, decent lighting would allow people to enjoy the aircraft properly.



The camouflage on the Messerschmitt Bf 110G-2 was rather spectacular - a two tone mottled blue-grey top surface, with a light blue undersurface (no idea why this particular paint scheme - I just thought it made a rather dramatic photograph with the subdued lighting!)



But, once you left this part of the hall, the lighting difference was incredible (even allowing for the grotty British weather!)



As per my luck, the Sunderland wasn't open for the publick to walk though, but that didn't stop me getting some superb photographs...



After we finished at RAF Hendon, we took a quiet run home, and I will admit to falling asleep in front of the TV – only to be woken up by my beloved. We ended up going out for a curry, and I will admit it was really tasty (and very reasonable!)

The rest of the weekend?  Well, what can I say, other than it was a nicely chilled time, and I managed to sort out most things.  Although there was one cloud on the horizon...  My beloved woke up Monday morning in tears, and said that he'd had a dream.

Ok - not something I would normally worry about, but he said that it concerned me.  Ok - now I was worried.  He said that I'd told him (in the dream) that I wanted nothing to do with him, and that I was quite nasty about it, and that I was being egged on by someone (but he couldn't see who). 

That scared me, and I will admit I tried my best to reassure him that I have no intention of walking out on our relationship.  Later on, he said that he couldn't do without me in his life, and that he hoped I felt the same.  I do, and I know damned well that what ever happens, we'll always be there for each other, as I think I have finally found my soul-mate.

That's not something that I take lightly, and I have made myself a promise, that if he needs me, I will do everything in my power to be there for him, in spirit if not physically.

Ah well, guess I should call this quits - I'm supposed to be working, not blogging!

Back later.

Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: