Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Flu jabs and Banbury..

Where do I start with this post? Apart from yelling OUCH every time I try to move my arms. The reason for this yell, is because I’ve had the ‘flu jabs. Yes – I got stuck in both arms – the swine flu in the right arm and the standard flu strains in the left arm. They didn’t hurt (much) when I had them this morning, but as I’m sitting here at my computer, my left arm is screaming, and the right one is whimpering.

By all accounts, I should have had the swine flu jab last year, but I was too cowardly to have it, so thought I’d better get it sorted out as this nasty flu is kicking about this year – allegedly. I personally think that it’s because the government had a load of vaccine left over last year as the supposed pandemic didn’t materialise, so they’re looking for suckers to get stabbed this year.

So, I was duly stabbed in both arms, and as I didn’t feel too bad, went down to Banbury with Mum. Not a problem there, until we got into BHS… There was a strange scent in the air, and as I wasn’t feeling too good, my stomach started to rebel.

Needless to say, I made a swift exit, and headed straight into my favourite shop – Waterstones. I was looking for the next books in a series that I have been reading (Rachel Vincent’s Were Cat series). I struck gold, and got the next three books, much to my delight.

Then it was off to the West Cornwall Pasty Company. This is the company that Dad and I used to go to every time we were in Banbury, as the pasties are very tasty (and are perfect for me taking into the office for lunch).

Once the pasties had been duly purchased, Mum and I then went in search of something rather exotic – knitting patterns. Now most people wouldn’t consider this a problem but for me, trying to find a pattern that I am happy to have on a jersey is rather awkward, as I don’t like anything too fancy. Thankfully, Mum and I managed to find three patterns that she can adapt (they’re Aran wool patterns and I itch like I have fleas).

Then the rest of the time was just wandering around Banbury town centre – until I spotted a new bookshop. It was a real mixed bag – part bookshop, part stationers, and I found something that I have searched high and low for. Pink Parker Quink cartridges for my fountain pen.

The reason? Ever since I was a junior school, I have used a fountain pen, and when I am doing some types of paperwork in the office, I want something that is going to stand out – hence the pink ink.

We then took a leisurely walk towards the Castle Quay centre, and then headed to Debenhams for a coffee and a sandwich, as I was hungry (and my arms were hurting). Thankfully, the pain killers kicked in fairly fast, and the rest of the day was a blur – mainly because I fell asleep this afternoon. Even as I type this, I am still tired but I know damned well if I go back to sleep, I won’t be able to sleep tonight.

Ah well, guess I should call this quits – I’m starting to get hungry.

Back when I get the chance…



Karen

Now some things you hold on to - and some you just let go
Seems like the ones that you can't have
Are the ones that you want most

0 comments: