Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Post Christmas madness

Well, either I'm getting more cynical in my old age, or people are becoming less tolerant as the year moves towards its end.

Mum and I were planning on going to Milton Keynes today, but as usual, the great British weather decided to intervene to change our plans - meaning that Mum and I ended up going into Coventry.

Since the closure of a couple of the big(ish) stores, the city seems to be dying on its feet. The only department stores that the city has, as BHS, Debenhams and Marks & Spencer - but you get all of these in Banbury - where the parking is a damned sight cheaper (and easier), and you get Marks & BHS in Solihull - as well as Beatties and John Lewis.

I know this sounds like I'm knocking Coventry - far from it. All I'm saying is that the city council needs to do something to attract another big name store to the city - otherwise people are going to desert the city for places such as Banbury and Solihull...

I'm not mentioning Birmingham, as that is a totally different league - that's more akin to places like Sheffield and I hate to say it - London (without the outrageous prices!)

Despite that, (or should that be in spite of that!) I did quite well in the sales.. I managed to get some of my favorite perfume - Dior Addict - (the original one) and a couple of turtle necks and a new black wrap, as mine's looking like it's seen better days...

I also got myself a book - it's the Fast Set - and details the history of the land speed record - from the starting days at Daytona beach, right up to the current record holder - Thrust SSC - the first non-rocket powered car to supersonic.

Aside from that, today has been a quiet day, which probably has been the best thing for me, as I'm still recovering from the pounding that I took yesterday (after I'd posted my blog entry - I went horse riding with Rachel in the Burton Dasset country park - and Flame threw me off - thank God for body armor!!)

Guess I should call this entry quits, as I'm due back to work tomorrow... (boo, hiss!)

Back tomorrow - if I haven't gotten to the stage where I hate looking at my computer!

Karen.
I walk where others fear to tread

0 comments: