Walking in the Shadows

Random musings from Warwickshire on life in general... Things that make me laugh, make me cry, things that wind me up beyond all endurance - and everything in between.

Eating Humble Pie

All the time I’ve been posting on my blog, I’ve always been dead set against the Kindle (and other e-readers) as I said that I’d never use one, and all the other excuses that I could think of. Well, now I’ve bitten the bullet, and bought one.

The reason for this change of heart? Simple. When I went on holiday, I couldn’t take all the books that I wanted to, due to their weight. I had a weight limit for checked hold baggage of 20Kg, and hand luggage was restricted to 5kg! Now this sounds a lot until you start weighing stuff, and at least two of the books I wanted to take were over 1kg. Each.

So, that mean I had to start looking at other options, and finally decided to join the e-book revolution. But which one to go for? I didn’t like the Sony (too damned expensive, and touch screen to boot), the others were brands that I’d not heard of (Binatone?), meaning that it came to a straight “fight” between the WH Smith Kobo, and Amazon’s Kindle. I eventually opted for the Kindle, the idea being that there is better customer support of it goes wrong (or I get confused) and more books available

It’s the Kindle 4 (yes – it’s the entry level one – my record with touch screen devices is not good!), and I’ve personalised it with a lovely skin courtesy of an American website – Decal Girl: it's called Fuorescence-Blue, and looks quite snazzy, if I do say so myself.



 I've also invested in a decent case - and no It’s not one of the "official" Amazon cases (they always look like something that came from the dashboard of a 1970s British Leyland car!) – it’s actually from a British company called Lente Designs:


The best bit is, it looks just like a Filofax, so I can leave it on my desk, and no-one bats an eyelid at it. So now I am eating humble pie. I adore my Kindle, and now won’t travel without it.

Time to call this quits – the siren call of the Kindle is at work again!

Back when I can put it down!

Karen

What I've felt, what I've known
Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there?
'Cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven, too?

0 comments: